Saint Xavier University Chicago Campus Bell

Degree Completion Programs

Degree Completion FAQs

If you are considering our degree completion programs but have some lingering questions that keep you from taking that step, check out the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) below for guidance. For more information about degree completion programs, please contact the Office of Admission at or via phone to 773-298-3050.

How long does it take to complete a bachelor's degree?

A bachelor's degree in one of our degree completion programs can be completed in as little as 21 months, depending on the number of credits transferred into this institution.

Is it possible to complete a degree at this stage in my life?

Yes. It is truly possible for adult students to complete a bachelor's degree at any point in his or her life. This is true because adult students are highly motivated and serious about their educational and career goals. Our academic programs and services were created to assure students' success in college.

How many credits are required to obtain a bachelor's degree?

Students will need to complete a minimum of 120 credit hours, depending on the academic discipline. Transfer credits (up to 70 hours from a community college and 90 hours from a four-year institution) apply toward the required 120 hours.

When are classes held?

The degree completion programs offer courses in the evenings, Saturdays, or online depending on the major to accommodate busy lifestyles.

Do I need to transfer an associate's degree to be admitted?

No, but transferring at least 70 credit hours will allow you to complete your degree quicker. If transferring under 70 credit hours, your advisor will develop an educational plan that will project course offerings and a completion time frame.

Do you offer online instruction?

Yes. We offer online and hybrid instruction.

What is the difference between hybrid and online instruction?

Hybrid instruction combines computer-based and in-class (face-to-face) instruction, while online courses are totally computer-based learning. Both instructional formats may require readings and posting exams electronically. Your faculty member will guide you through the process.

Is it possible to miss a class session?

Class attendance is mandatory because many of the degree completion programs offer accelerated courses in six-, or eight-week sessions. An excused absence must be approved by the faculty member.

Will I have an advisor throughout my academic studies?

Yes. Your advisor will create a program plan that shows your course requirements and/or options for credit for prior learning (i.e. CLEP, Portfolio Assessment and ACE).

Can I earn college-level credit for prior learning from my work experience?

Yes. Credit can be earned for verifiable learning, including either knowledge or skills acquired during life or work experience. Students with a military background may also be considered for college-level credit. For more information, contact Records and Advising at 773-298-3501.

Do you provide internships, resume writing and/or job counseling for students?

Yes. Some of the programs are structured to build skills for your current employer or for a change in careers. Internships and career counseling is available. Please visit the Career Services web page.

What is the admission process?

The admission process is very easy and accessible. We have an open admission process for many of our degree completion programs. You may visit the Admission web page for an application and schedule a meeting with a counselor.

Although I work full time, do you offer financial aid to adult transfer students?

Yes. Financial aid is available to all students who qualify, as a full-time or part-time student. There are also opportunities for grants, scholarships and loans. Representatives in the Office of Financial Aid are available to assist you with funding your education or you can visit the Financial Aid web page.

How do I apply for financial aid?

Once you have applied for admission, go to the FAFSA website to submit your application.

What is tuition reimbursement?

Many companies and organizations understand the importance of their employees obtaining a quality education, undergraduate and graduate degree. Therefore, employers will often financially support continuing education for their staff, as a company benefit. Visit the Office of the Bursar's web page for more information.

Will my VA benefits pay for my education?

Saint Xavier University is a proud participant in the Yellow Ribbon GI Educational Assistance Act of 2008. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) will fund tuition expenses that exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition rate for both undergraduate and graduate programs at private institutions. For more information on the Yellow Ribbon Program at Saint Xavier University, call 1-877-302-VETS, email or visit the Yellow Ribbon web page.