As you think about your major and the career options that can be available to you, consider the following questions. Our career staff can guide you through this process as you move forward with your major choice(s) and look at career options.
- How would I describe my skills, interests, and values?
- Considering past and present experiences, what energizes me the most? Why?
- How are the aspects of myself shaping my decisions about a major and potential career path?
Strong Interest Inventory
An interest inventory in which students' interests are compared to those of professionals in over 100 different occupations. This inventory helps students identify the groups of professionals with whom they have most in common.
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
A personality assessment that measures students' preferences on four scales in order to determine their Myers-Briggs Type. Students can look at their preferences along with the activities of different careers to identify fulfilling career possibilities.
The Illinois Career Information System
The Illinois Career Information System is an internet site that provides individuals with tools for career planning. There are several components to this free site including career assessments as well as information regarding occupations, employment, education and training.
User ID = Illinois
Password = careers
Career planning is a process through which you learn more about yourself and about the world of work in order to make intentional and informed plans for your professional future.
Helpful Career Planning Steps at SXU
- Choosing a Major
- Career Development Plan for Undecided Majors
- Reality Testing: Next, you can confirm your career choices by gaining experience related to your chosen field by gaining Professional Experience and by talking with established professionals about the true nature of the work through our LinkedIn site
- Job Searching: Finally, as you get closer to graduation, you have the opportunity to use our Job Search Skills Services, which includes assistance with resume and cover letter writing, interviewing skills, job fair preparation and job search techniques.
- What Can I Do with This Major?
These links feature information on a wide variety of occupations, including job descriptions, educational requirements, and employment forecasts for those fields. Some of these links also include skills assessment tools.
- O*Net - Career Exploration
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Illinois Career Information System User ID = Illinois; Password = careers
- Inside Jobs
Read through thousands of unique career profiles, including cutting edge jobs, salary ranges, and videos as an inside look into different careers.
- Job Shadow
contains hundreds of video interviews with professionals in a wide variety of careers